Systems Engineer specializing in infrastructure architecture, automation, management, and distributed systems design and implementation.
Patreon - Site Reliability Engineer (2018-2019)
- Characterized and resolved database/site performance issues.
- Assisted expansion from single region AWS architecture to multi-region.
- Built Terraform automation for provisioning AWS EKS.
- Guided notification system architecture refresh to increase reliability and reduce complexity using dynamodb and AWS lambda.
- Automated image builds using packer and circle-ci.
- Updated CI/CD platform to use ECR for build docker images.
Capella Space Corp - Ground Software and Infrastructure Engineer (2017-2018)
- Automated generation of encode/decode logic for command and telemetry packets at run time.
- Created metadata and audit tracking system for all spacecraft subsystems and software versions.
- Packaged the ground software stack in containers (Docker).
- Automated deployment and management (Kubernetes, Docker-compose).
- Automated storage and retrieval of spacecraft telemetry and commands for auditing and analysis.
- Provided embedded Linux support for custom GPU module bring-up and characterization of PCI-Express subsystems.
Twitch.tv - Systems Engineer (2016-2017)
- Maintained internal systems infrastructure and services supporting all other teams within Twitch.
- Served as main support contact between the systems engineering team and infosec team.
- Integrated numerous services with Consul cluster for configuration and service discovery.
- Optimized core puppet code base to decrease convergence and run times.
- Migrated Puppet stack from Puppet 3 to Puppet 4.
Palantir Technologies - Site Reliability Engineer (2012-2016)
- Implemented and architected core infrastructure for customer deployments in Azure.
- Developed tools to aid in autonomous and highly available deployment and monitoring of internal systems.
- Maintained and architected cloud infrastructure in AWS for customer deployments.
- Designed automated provisioning system for bare metal hardware reducing delivery time from 2 days to 2 hours.
- Provided technical expertise on remote customer sites to resolve critical situations quickly.
- Established updated development work flows and source control standards for the Mission Operations team.
A certificate authority written in golang. Designed to help with automated creation of certificate authorities and management of certificate issuing/revocation.
A simple MQTT server that pushes data directly to TimescaleDB.
- Deep knowledge of the inner workings of the Python import system.
- Use of multithreading/multiprocessing for handling parallelism and concurrency.
- Use of Asyncio futures.
- Performance characterization and optimization.
- Customizing the operation of the JSON parser/encoder for extra functionality.
- Using context managers and generators for efficiently handling large data sets.
- Writing scripts to automatically detect platform and include the appropriate configuration and applications needed.
- Inline string manipulation for filtering data from stdin.
- Service to service authentication and tunneling using SSH.
- Certificate generation and management.
Basic knowledge of C/C++, Ruby, Perl, Java
- LED lighting for art cars, automated brewing setups, MIDI controllers, tube amplifiers, IoT sensors.
- Amateur Radio
- Designing, building, and using radios on amateur frequencies. Currently licensed to general class. Call sign KK6PGH.
- DJing, producing electronic music, and discovering new artists/genres.